Friday, September 13, 2013

Next Project: The Galaxy Class!, but not really.

The people have spoken and by a huge majority have requested that I construct the Galaxy class model next.

So, yes.  The Star Trek Federation Galaxy class will be the next ship that I begin.  But it is NOT going to be my next project, nor will it be the next ship I complete.

1. A project like the Galaxy is BIG.  I will probably work on it for a very long time (months) during which I will take breaks to knock out several smaller vessels.  The uninitiated might ask "What's the big deal?  It's only a bit over twice the size of the Constitution."   No, it's a bit over twice the LENGTH of the Constitution, and more stoutly built.  I estimate the ship volume is on the order of 10 times that of the Constitution.  That front disk alone is the size of a sporting stadium.  I've seen the epic builds of the likes of Holdtech... I know its possible.  It'll just take a while.

2. It also seems to me that a major build needs major build facilities.  So THAT will be my actual next project.  Not a ship, but a space-dock construction and repair facility scale-able to the task.
The system goals include:

  • A construction scaffold grid to which the project and other elements can dock
  • Dockable lights to illuminate the project. from all angles.
  • Shields and large turrets to defend the ship and structure from wandering pirates during construction.
  • Modular construction so the cradle can be easily restructured for larger or smaller craft.
  • Independent light ships that can serve as movable platforms for lights and turrets.
  • Storage for extra blocks
  • Astrotech shuttles and turrets.
  • Observation galleries.
I would make this as a base, but you can't export and import bases can you?

No comments:

Post a Comment