Sunday, September 8, 2013

So many ships...

My dear Star-Made Captains

y'know... when I started this hobby of rendering starships out of 1m blocks I had no idea how much fun it would be, how consuming, or whether I'd be any good at it.   Somewhat to my surprise I find I'm pretty damn decent and getting better.   I did expect that as my experience increased, the builds would go faster.  This has proven not to be the case.  Instead of getting faster, I'm getting slower as I dig deeper into the game balance and try to render finer and finer details.   It's striking to have my new motion picture era Miranda floating next to my recent TOS Miranda  I've rendered angles and proportions I didn't even attempt in the older ship.  The newer vessel is more powerful, better shielded, more fully decorated, better lit, and more combat-ready... but that means I'm fussing over details I never considered in the previous build.  This Miranda has probably taken twice as long as the previous version, and I'm not done yet.

I'm not quite there yet... but I suspect I only have one or two more of the larger ships in me before I take a break for a couple weeks.  The deeper I go, the more rewarding it is.  But it's more taxing too.

My son has asked for a Promethius, and I plan to give it to him.  It looks like there is a lot of popular demand for a Galaxy class.... I'll give that one a serious "Maybe".   If I start that build it will likely be a while before you, or anyone, sees me again.

As always, I appreciate those who have been encouraging me. Likewise those who have been downloading and enjoying my ships.  It's a ridiculous amount of fun watching someone else playing with my toys on youtube.  I hope you continue to do so.

--Green the Virtual Shipwright (Gaeasson)

No comments:

Post a Comment